The Genealogy of the Following Families:
The Simon Family of Willebadessen, Germany, and its Descendants in America
The Barcant, Krogh, d'Abadie, and Related Families of Trinidad and Tobago
The Hurd and Clark Families of Kent County, Delaware and Caroline County, Maryland
The Dolan and Carr Families of County Tyrone, Northern Ireland; County Donegal, Ireland; and America
The McGillin Families of County Tyrone, Northern Ireland and Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Catherine "Kate" FloodAbt 1841 - 1912 (~ 71 years)
Name Catherine Flood Nickname Kate Born Abt 1841 County Donegal, Ireland Gender Female Died 31 Aug 1912 Cormullin, County Donegal, Ireland Siblings 2 siblings Person ID I7229 Simon and Related Families Last Modified 22 Nov 2019
Father John Flood, b. 1796, Pettigo, County Donegal, Ireland Family ID F2848 Group Sheet | Family Chart
Family Patrick McGrory, b. Abt 1830, County Donegal, Ireland , d. 24 Mar 1893, Raneany Barr, County Donegal, Ireland (Age ~ 63 years) Married 31 Oct 1859 Pettigo, County Donegal, Ireland Children 1. Mary Ann McGrory, b. 1863, County Donegal, Ireland 2. Bridget McGrory, b. 22 Apr 1865, Raneany Barr, County Donegal, Ireland 3. Michael McGrory, b. 27 Dec 1867, Raneany Barr, County Donegal, Ireland + 4. Patrick McGrory, b. 24 Dec 1869, Raneany Barr, County Donegal, Ireland , d. 19 Feb 1937, Raneany Barr, County Donegal, Ireland (Age 67 years) 5. Sarah McGrory, b. 26 Jan 1872, Raneany Barr, County Donegal, Ireland 6. Catherine McGrory, b. 11 Feb 1874, Raneany Barr, County Donegal, Ireland 7. Margaret "Maggie" McGrory, b. 25 Jul 1876, Raneany Barr, County Donegal, Ireland 8. Ann Jane McGrory, b. 6 Aug 1879, Raneany Barr, County Donegal, Ireland 9. William McGrory, b. 16 Feb 1883, Raneany Barr, County Donegal, Ireland Documents McGrory, Patrick (1830-1893) | Flood, Catherine (1841-1912) - Marriage
1859 marriage record for Patrick McGrory and Catherine Flood from the parish records of Carn RC Church, Pettigo, Ireland.
Last Modified 22 Nov 2019 Family ID F2325 Group Sheet | Family Chart
Event Map = Link to Google Earth
Year of birth given as about 1841 in family history posted to ancestry.com by Roisin McGrory Delaney, a great-great-granddaughter.
Year of birth would be about 1840-1841, according to age (60 years) in 1901 Census of Ireland, County Donegal, Laghey District Electoral Division, Raneany Bar Townland. Enumerated as Kate McGroary with three children.
Year of birth would be about 1840-1841, according to age (70 years) in 1911 Census of Ireland, County Donegal, Laghey District Electoral Division, Raneany Bar Townland. Enumerated as Kate McGrory with her son Patrick and his family and Rose Anne McCaffery, a "relative."
Year of birth would be 1839-1840, according to age (72 years) in 1912 Irish Civil Registration Death Record for Catherine McRory.
Full date of death given as 31 August 1912 and location given as Cormullion (a variant spelling of Cormullin Townland) in the Irish Civil Registration death record for Catherine McRory. Cause of death was pneumonia. Informant was Patrick McRory of Cormullion, her son.
- Although Catherine's assigned father, John Flood (1796-), would have been around 45 years old at the time of this birth, DNA comparisons via GEDMatch between Gerard McGrory (a descendant of Catherine Flood) and Catherine Dolan Simon, a descendant of Anne Flood (John's sister), show a match with a most recent common ancestor (MRCA) at 4.2 generations. The algorithm used by Ancestry DNA for the same comparison gives a 4th-cousin relationship. Both results are consistent with the assignment of Catherine Flood as a daughter of John Flood (1796-). This assignment yields a relationship between Catherine Dolan Simon and Gerard McGrory of 4th cousins.
- A similar analysis of a different Flood descendant, from a sister of Catherine Flood (J. Banks) shows a MRCA to Catherine Dolan Simon of 4.3 generations. Their actual relationship, based on this assignment of Catherine Flood and her sister, would be 4th cousins once removed. This slightly more distant connection is consistent with comparative DNA results.
- Gerard McGrory and J. Banks are calculated by GEDMatch as having a MRCA at 3.9 generations and they are documented as being third cousins once removed. Again, this closer documented connection is consistent with the DNA matching results.
- If Catherine Flood were the daughter of John Flood (1826-) and Ellen Cleary (i.e., a granddaughter of the elder John Flood, the relationship between Gerard McGrory and Catherine Dolan Simon would have been one of 4th cousins once removed (which Ancestry might have displayed as being a 5th cousin). In addition, the relative difference between his MRCA number to J. Banks and to Catherine Dolan Simon would be greater than 0.3 generations, as there would be a full generational difference between a child of John Flood (1796-) and John Flood (1826-), so the relative difference should have been closer to 1.3.
- Caveat: DNA relationships can be affected by chance inheritance of DNA, so these considerations are not definitive, but the preponderance of evidence supports the assignment shown here.