The Genealogy of the Simon Family of Willebadessen, Germany, and its Descendants in America
Barcant, Krogh, d'Abadie and Related Families of Trinidad and Tobago
Hurd and Clark Families of Kent County, Delaware, and Caroline County, Maryland
Dolan and Carr Families of County Tyrone, Northern Ireland, and County Donegal, Ireland
McGillin Families of County Tyrone, Northern Ireland, and Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Louis François Léon d'Abadie1804 - Yes, date unknown
Name Louis François Léon d'Abadie Born 31 Jul 1804 Bordeaux-Centre, Gironde, France Gender Male Died Yes, date unknown Trinidad and Tobago Person ID I6398 Simon and Related Families | Descendants of Louis François Léon d'Abadie (b.1804), Descendants of Michel Julien, Chevalier de Verteuil Last Modified 11 Oct 2019
Father François Thomas d'Abadie, b. Abt 22 Nov 1774, Puycasquier, Gers, France Mother Louise Adélaïde Françoise Peschier, b. 1775, Grenada Married 11 Jun 1800 Family ID F2588 Group Sheet | Family Chart
Family Caroline Hortense de Verteuil, b. Abt 1811, Trinidad and Tobago , d. 1897, San Pedro Estate, Gran Couva, Trinidad and Tobago (Age ~ 86 years) Married 13 Oct 1831 Trinidad and Tobago Children 1. 1st child died in infancy d'Abadie 2. 2nd child died in infancy d'Abadie 3. Louis d'Abadie 4. Léone Pauline d'Abadie, b. 15 Sep 1836, Trinidad and Tobago , d. 1917, Trinidad and Tobago (Age 80 years) + 5. Sainte-Luce d'Abadie, b. 1839, Trinidad and Tobago , d. 1883, Trinidad and Tobago (Age 44 years) 6. Dieudonné d'Abadie, b. 1841, Trinidad and Tobago , d. 1857, Trinidad and Tobago (Age 16 years) Last Modified 6 Nov 2017 Family ID F2100 Group Sheet | Family Chart
Event Map = Link to Google Earth
Documents d'Abadie, Louis Francois Leon - 1851
Signature of Louis François Léon d'Abadie from the 1851 Census of Trinidad, available in the National Archives of Trinidad and Tobago, Port of Spain.
- Full name given in genealogical information provided by George F. de Verteuil. This source gives the year of birth as 1804 and the location as Lognac, France.
- Full date of birth calculated as 31 July 1804 from the description in his French civil birth record, recorded in the Bordeaux-Centre arrondissement of the city of Bordeaux, Gironde, France. In this record, dated the 14 Thermidor, Year 12, it is stated that Louis was born "avant hier matin a dix heures," or at 10:00 a.m. in the morning of the day before yesterday. This, his birth date would have been 12 Thermidor Year 12, which equates to 31 July 1804. Name given in the record is Louis François Léon d'Adabie, and his parents were named as François Thomas Dabadie and Louise Adélaïde Françoise Peschier.
- Louis's civil birth record states that he was born in the house of his father, described as being "au Tondut, Maison Nommé Lognac." There is a neighborhood (Fr: quartier) of Bordeaux today called Tondu, with a main street known as Rue du Tondu. In an 1832 map of Bordeaux, this road was called the Chemin du Tondut, and ran southwest out of the city into the surrounding countryside. So, it is likely that the "Tondut" referenced in this record is this neighborhood in the southwestern part of the city (but which might have been more farmland in 1804). It should not be confused with a locality called Tondut that is situated 24 km to the southeast of Bordeaux, as that would be far from the Bordeaux-Centre arrondissement in which the birth occurred and was registered. And Louis's birth record makes clear that the birth did not occur in a town called Lognac, but that Lognac was the name of the house in the Tondut quartier of Bordeaux-Centre in which the birth took place.
- The French civil birth record for Louis d'Abadie is in the Bordeaux-Centre volume of the Greffes des Tribunaux de la Gironde: Repertoire des Naissances de l'An 12e, page 120 (Archives départementales de la Gironde, 4 E 873), viewable at this link (right-hand page, entry no. 757).
- Wife identified as Hortense de Verteuil and date of marriage given as 13 September 1831 in Anthony de Verteuil, Sir Louis de Verteuil: His Life and Times (Port of Spain, Columbus Publishers, 1973), p. 54.
- Wife identified as Caroline Hortense de Verteuil, but full date of marriage given as 13 October 1831 in contemporaneous scrapbook entry of Louis François Léon's mother, quoted in Anthony de Verteuil, The de Verteuils of Trinidad - 1797-1997: A Case Study of a French Creole Family (Port of Spain, Litho Press, 1997), p. 69. This latter date is given greater weight, because it has a contemporaneous source.
- Wife also identified as Caroline Hortense de Verteuil in genealogical information provided by George F. de Verteuil.
According to Anthony de Verteuil, The de Verteuils of Trinidad - 1797-1997: A Case Study of a French Creole Family (Port of Spain, Litho Press, 1997), pp. 68-69:
"The D'Abadie family came to Trinidad at the end of the eighteenth century. They originated in Gascony in the south of France, and in Trinidad were merchants and planters. They owned considerable land around present day D'Abadie, five miles to the west of Arima."
Surveyor and proprietor of Sainte-Rose Estate, Arima (not to be confused with the nearby Santa Rosa Estate) - 1851 Census of Trinidad, available in the National Archives of Trinidad and Tobago, Port of Spain. He likely surveyed what is called "D'Abadie's Town" in the 1851 Census, and is known as D'Abadie today.
Alive in 1851 Census of Trinidad.